Inside Lenovo ThinkPad T16 Gen 1 – disassembly and upgrade options
Most ThinkPad laptops offer good upgradeability. While you are provided with some options to expand the memory and the storage, we would have liked to see more.
Lenovo ThinkPad T16 Gen 1
- Intel Core i5-1235U
- Intel Iris Xe Graphics G7 (80EU)
- 8GB RAM
- 256GB SSD
1. Remove the bottom plate
To access this laptop’s internals, you need to undo 8 captive Phillips-head screws. Then, pry the bottom panel with a plastic tool, and lift it away from the chassis.
Inside, we find an 86Wh battery pack. It lasts for more than 14 hours of Web browsing, or more than 9 hours of video playback on a single charge. To take it out, undo all 6 Phillips-head screws keeping it attached to the chassis.
3. Memory and storage
Memory-wise, you get either 8 or 16GB of DDR4 memory soldered to the motherboard. You can further expand it by up to 32GB of RAM via the single SODIMM slot. As for the storage, there is one M.2 PCIe x4 slot, which fits Gen 4 drives.
4. Cooling system
The cooling here comprises one thin and one thick heat pipe. They are both shared by the CPU and the GPU. Interestingly, the fan and the heat sink are placed at some distance from the side vent probably to save on some precious copper.
Lenovo ThinkPad T16 Gen 1 (Intel) in-depth review
Lenovo is clearly embracing the idea of a 16-inch form factor inside of its very tight business ThinkPad family. We are too since it proved to be quite well received by the public. Thanks to the shrinking of screen bezels, the 16-inch display casually sneaks inside a 15.6-inch shell. But the ThinkPad T16 Gen 1 is not only coming with a panel of this size but also has a 16:10 aspect ratio, which puts it in the front foot of productivity notebooks. Yep, developers and traders will be happier than ever. In addition, you can explore the huge improvements brought by Intel's 12th Gen Alder La[...]
- 2x Thunderbolt 4 ports + LAN port
- M.2 PCIe x4 Gen 4 support
- Fingerprint reader embedded in the power button + optional IR face recognition
- Comfortable spill-resistant keyboard with a backlight
- Good battery life
- Wi-Fi 6E + 4G support (optional)
- Covers 99% of the sRGB color gamut and has accurate color representation (BOE NE160QDM-N63 (LEN41BB))
- No PWM (BOE NE160QDM-N63 (LEN41BB))
- Unimpressive thermal management
- No SD card slot
- The competition features better upgradeability